Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fall is a delicious time of year!

Fall is BY FAR, my favorite season of the year! There is something magical about the way the air turns crisp and chilly, the leaves turn a golden color, and it sets the mood perfectly for the next 4 wonderful months. Along with the change of season, so does the wonderful dishes that come with it! Comfort foods start to come into cravings, and my husband drops, "subtle," hints for those rich flavors of fall! Last night, we entertained a family new to the Naples area. We introduced them to some wonderful Italian dishes, but I couldn't help but also throw in some of that country girl flavor I was raised with! Following is a recipe that I initially came up with to forever remember the flavor of the apples my family grew on the farm back home. My family has always had the best desserts floating around, and I hope one day this one will be one that makes it's way around the family recipes as well! This is my apple pie recipe, I am not a baker by any means, but this one is a blue ribbon winner and paired with some vanilla ice cream-it's the perfect ending to a meal.

Make a flaky crust recipe, I always lattice top my pies, use your preference. Set aside.

On the stove, melt a stick of unsalted butter, add a few tablespoons flour and make a soupy roux. Stir in a teaspoon of vanilla, teaspoon cinnamon, half cup brown sugar and white, 1/4 c water, couple shakes of nutmeg, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and mix with about 6 apples, sliced and peeled.
Brush egg whites to the bottom pie crust, this prevents it from getting soggy! Place apple mix inside, top with crust, and brush egg whites to the top crust. Sprinkle with sugar, bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 30-45 minutes.
Enjoy! This is all that is left of ours :)

No comments:

Post a Comment